7 ways to help make housing more affordable
Housing affordability is a very real concern for many Australians. And that means it’s also a concern for everyone involved in the construction and property industry, including builders, developers, manufacturers, peak bodies, governments and researchers.
What we know is that housing affordability is complex. In a recent article in The Conversation, Building 4.0 CRC CEO Professor Mathew Aitchison unpacks some of the factors affecting housing affordability, and particularly the role of innovation in addressing them:
- Currently, industry lacks the capacity to build as many dwellings as the market needs.
- We need to improve productivity in all aspects of the building chain: development, design, construction, operation and end of life.
- We need new business and ownership models.
- Australian houses need more flexibility and diversity.
- We need new building systems and supply chains that deliver faster, cheaper and higher-quality buildings.
- We need to make houses more durable and easy to maintain.
- We need to explore ways to reuse and recycle buildings and building materials.
You can read Mathew’s article here.
Mathew also discussed these issues on ABC Radio and ABC News 24.